What we do
At Nourish, we strive to serve the highest quality organic, vegetarian food available and to prepare it simply, with the ideals and principles of Ayurveda in mind.
The health of our bodies, minds, and consciousness is dependent on how we nourish ourselves; be it by the food on our plates or the food for our thoughts.
The science of Ayurveda is a sister science of Yoga. It was inspired by the great masters and seers of ancient India, and is one of the oldest sciences of life — a system of diet, healing and health maintenance that is deeply spiritual in origin.
Ayurveda emphasizes properly cooked food, and simple, subtle flavors and dishes, enhanced with appropriate spices. Foods such as grains, fruits, vegetables, seeds, beans, herbs, and roots are vital carriers and balancers for the life force of the body. The power of these foods only manifests when they are used in the proper combinations and in complete coordination with the unique conditions of each individual.
The principles of Ayurveda and the literally thousands of years of experience India has in vegetarian eating serve as guides for a vegetarian diet that nourishes our whole selves.
- Our food is made by hand in our kitchens from vegetables, fruit, grains, beans, nuts and seeds.
- All of our food is organic or farm-direct spray-free, whenever possible.
- Please allow ample time to partake of this food cooked the natural way.
- We use only purified, mineralized, structured water in all of our cooking, drinks and vegetable washing.
- All of our meals can be made gluten free. We cook our gluten bread on a separate grill.
- We change our vegetable dishes and our recipes throughout the year to adjust for the season and for what is available that is fresh, organic and/or local.
- We stone grind most of our own grains in house.
- For wheat, we use only ancient-, whole-grain Kamut and Spelt flours.
- For cooking oil, we only use organic sunflower oil.
- For salt, we use only Himalayan pink salt.
- We use natural sweeteners such as maple syrup, molasses, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, fruit purees and juices and organic raw care sugar.
- All dressings and sauces are made fresh in our kitchens.
- All of our food is prepared mildly spiced and mildly salted, and our sweets tend to be mildly sweetened.
- We roast and grind most of our fresh, organic spices in-house.
- Our flat-bread is yeast free and cooked to order.
- Our organic chai is made from scratch using whole spices, fresh ginger and black assam tea.
- Our loose leaf teas are served in unbleached, chlorine free tea bags.
- Our food is cooked by flame, in 18/10 stainless steel cookware.
- Our foods do not contain artificial colors or flavors.
- We do not have freezers or microwaves in our kitchen. We do not use or serve ice.
- Our “to go” containers are compostable, whenever possible.
- We do not use onion or garlic in our cooking.
- We do not cook with butter or ghee but we do offer it as an add-on for medicinal purposes. We make our own ghee in-house from fresh Strauss organic, pasture-raised butter in our mantra-infused kitchen.
- For legumes, we cook regularly with organic moong lentils as they are prized in both Ayurveda and Chinese medicine for their health benefits and their easily digested protein.
|1170 Baker Street, G2, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 :||ADDRESS|